Heading on a trip soon for an early Holiday excursion? Even if you’re not, we wanted to share a list of useful tips to use whenever you are traveling, even just for the weekend! Many people start their adventures without thinking about what to do before they leave to make the most of their time, and we are here to give you some helpful things to do before you hop on the plane.
- Check into your flight ahead of time. Most Airlines will allow you to check into your flight before you get to the Airport, which can help you avoid some of the long lines once you get to the Airport.
- Staying in a hostel or Airbnb? Make sure you purchase travel size commodities ahead of time, and remember that you can bring up to 3 ounces on an airplane, so most travel sizes will fit! This will make it easier so you don’t have to find a convenience store once you get there (it may also be more expensive to purchase if you wait).
- If you’re going to a non-English speaking country, it’s important that you have at least basic knowledge and understanding of the language they speak so you are able to communicate at an elementary level when necessary. Purchasing a language book may also be helpful!
- Purchase a nice, durable backpack to carry around with you at all times. This makes it easy to carry snacks, water, and additional clothes you may need while exploring the area you are traveling. With a organized packed backpack hopefully you won’t have to go back to your Airbnb the whole day and can focus on your adventures!
- This sounds old school, but printing out a map of the area you are going is always very useful in exploring a new city, especially if you won’t be able to use cell service! Let yourself get lost in exploring for a little while, but let the map guide your way back.
- Traveling to a destination without a vehicle? One of the most important things to arrange ahead of time is your transportation arrangements. You can even use our taxi fare calculator that will help you calculate the cost and duration of your taxi ahead of time. And if you’re looking for a comparison of different rideshare companies in the area, try out Ride Guru to relieve the stress that transportation can be.
- Order Currency! Check with your credit card providers first to see if they charge any international fees (most do, usually 3%). If they don’t have a charge, you may not need to order currency ahead of time but it is a must if you will not be able to use your credit card without a fee. Go to your local bank to exchange money at the least expensive rate. Also, always check that you are receiving the correct currency amount based on the current exchange rate (available through Google or sites like x-rates).
- Don’t forget to pack your passport and any other legal travel documents you need! If you’re going on an extended stay, make sure you have some type of insurance as well.
Oh, and one last thing, enjoy your trip! Make the most of your time spent and challenge yourself to adventure in places you never dreamed of exploring.